Fire officials: Young boy critically hurt in Co-op City apartment fire

Fire officials: Young boy critically hurt in Co-op City apartment fire

A family of five is recovering after a fire sparked in their Co-op City apartment, and one of their children was critically injured.
Fire officials say the fire broke out in the kitchen of a fifth-floor apartment. About 75 firefighters responded to the scene.
A father, mother and three children were in the unit, where the fire is believed to have sparked in the kitchen around 10:15 a.m.
Fire officials say crews arrived to find the father unconscious in a hallway, suffering from smoke inhalation.
Officials say firefighters crawling through the unit came across a locked bathroom. They forced open the door to find a child inside in respiratory arrest.
Firefighter Joseph Aviles says he carried the boy down to the building's third floor and began CPR. He then carried him downstairs and into the street to continue CPR until EMS arrived.
The boy is being treated at Jacobi Medical Center.
The apartment sustained significant damage and the family will be unable to return to it anytime soon. But officials say they are expected to be OK.
Neighbors in the building tell News 12 that they did not hear the smoke alarm go off. They say they evacuated when they smelled smoke.