NYPD: Officer who was shot in head dies; suspect is in custody

The NYPD has confirmed that 26-year-old NYPD Officer Adeed Fayaz has died at Brookdale Hospital. He was gravely injured on Saturday night in a shooting in Brooklyn.
NYPD officials briefed the media Tuesday morning, identifying the suspect as Randy Jones, 38, of Brooklyn. Jones was taken into custody late on Monday night. 
Jones has been charged with murder and attempted robbery. 
At 6:55 p.m. on Saturday, officers from the 75th Precinct arrived on the scene after reports of a man shot on Ruby Street. Fayaz, a five-year veteran of the NYPD from Deer Park on Long Island, was the victim.
Officials say Fayaz had been in contact with a male selling a Honda Pilot via Facebook Marketplace. They had originally planned to meet the day prior and that plan fell through. He arrived Saturday evening with his brother-in-law in separate vehicles at Linden Boulevard and Ruby Street.
They say Jones “jokingly” asked the two if they were carrying a gun. When they said no, police say Jones put Fayaz in a headlock and demanded money from him.
When Fayaz refused, police say Jones turned the gun on his brother-in-law. When Fayaz pulled away from the suspect, they say he was shot in the head.
The brother-in-law then grabbed the injured officer’s gun and returned fire while Jones fled the scene, police say.
The brother-in-law’s car, a TLC vehicle, recorded a video during the incident that helped them identify a 2011 BMW, registered to Wanda Jones. Investigators then found she had a son who fit the description of the suspect.
Jones was arrested at the Days Inn in Nanuet in the Hudson Valley. Police say he was there with his girlfriend and five children. It was not clear if those children were his. The girlfriend was questioned but not charged.
The handcuffs used to put Jones into custody belong to Fayaz, who remains in grave condition.
Police are awaiting the execution of two other search warrants related to the case.
Jones has three prior arrests – one in New York City for a strangulation in 2014 and two others in Virginia. Details on those cases were not immediately available.