Officials: University Heights apartment had previous violations before fire

Officials say that a University Heights apartment that caught on fire Saturday morning had been cited for previous violations.

News 12 Staff

Feb 6, 2022, 10:51 PM

Updated 836 days ago

Share:

Officials say that a University Heights apartment that caught on fire Saturday morning had been cited for previous violations.
The Department of Buildings tells News 12 a fire broke out in apartment 3B at 2397 Grand Ave.
According to the department's website, the same unit was cited by officials for missing carbon monoxide detectors, smoke detectors and for having a defective electrical outlet.
It is uncertain if the violations played a role in the fire.
The DOB says the building is structurally stable but it issued a vacate order for seven of the apartments.
Officials say all households affected are being helped by the Red Cross.
The fire injured nine people, including a pregnant woman and firefighter.
The FDNY says all the injuries were minor and mostly caused by smoke inhalation.
Councilmember Pierina Ana Sanchez says in a statement, "It is unacceptable for building management to not answer the call of their tenants, elected officials and even city agency officials, especially when lives are at stake."
News 12 reached out to the landlord for comment.


More from News 12