Tenants in Castle Hill NYCHA building find hundreds of maggots in their apartments
Castle Hill residents in a NYCHA building on Randall Avenue say they discovered maggots in their apartments.
Around a week ago, they say there was a bad smell coming from a bloody trash bag in a stairwell on the 10th floor. When police were called to investigate, they found rotting meat inside.
The meat attracted hundreds of maggots, leaving residents to act as exterminators.
Over the weekend, tenants say they used bleach and bug spray to kill the maggots.
"There's kids living on this floor,” says resident Wendy Ruiz. “We shouldn't be living in these types of conditions.”
They tried to contact NYCHA about the situation and say they were told the problem was not an emergency.
News 12 reached out to NYCHA, which said in a statement: "NYCHA staff cleaned and sanitized this area today. We ask that all residents continue to use the MyNychaApp or call the Customer Contact Center at 718-707-7771 to create a work order ticket for any maintenance needs.”