Suffolk DA: Search of accused Gilgo Beach serial killer’s home ends, massive amount of material taken

The district attorney says items that appeared to be “out of the ordinary" were found in the backyard, but no human remains were discovered.

Krista McNally

Jul 25, 2023, 10:14 AM

Updated 308 days ago

Share:

Suffolk police say the investigation at the home of the suspect in three of the Gilgo Beach murders has ended.
The crime scene cleared Tuesday in the middle of the afternoon. All of the surrounding blocks were opened again for traffic.
According to Suffolk District Attorney Ray Tierney, investigators obtained a massive amount of material from the home of Rex Heuermann that will now be cataloged and analyzed.
Tierney described the amount of evidence as ‘fruitful’ and said the investigation has broadened. He says authorities are working toward filing charges in a fourth case.
The district attorney says items that appeared to be “out of the ordinary" were found in the backyard, but no human remains were discovered.
Tierney described the home as “cluttered” and said a total of 279 guns were removed from the premises.
News 12 got a closer look at the First Avenue home. There were piles of wood, a rundown façade and items piled on the porch.
On Monday, Nassau Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder urged the public not to visit the home or drive by and take photos once the crime scene wrapped up. He says those who do will get a summons.
"This is not going to turn into a sideshow," Ryder says. "Anybody out there that's listening to think they're going to come down and drive down the street, stop and take photos, you're going to be issued summonses for stopping in traffic."
Ryder also says there will be signs indicating that there will be no parking in that area. 
“This is not going to turn into a sideshow," Ryder says. "Anybody out there that's listening to think they're going to come down and drive down the street, stop and take photos, you're going to be issued summonses for stopping in traffic."
Ryder also says there will be signs indicating that there will be no parking in that area.
WATCH: DOCUMENTARY AND BACKGROUND INFORMATION - Gilgo Beach: Unsolved
The police commissioner says there will continue to be a police presence and cameras that will be hung on a pole near the property.
Neighbors say they are relieved that Nassau County police will be patrolling the area to stop anyone loitering to get a glimpse of the suspected Gilgo Beach serial killer’s home.
“It is crazy, you never know who your neighbors are, I guess you just never know,” says Frankie Musto, of Massapequa Park.
Heuermann has been charged with first- and second-degree murder in connection to three Gilgo victims: Melissa Barthelemy, Megan Waterman and Amber Costello. He's the prime suspect in a fourth death. He pleaded not guilty last week and is due back in court Aug. 1.
There is no word on if Heuermann’s wife and two children will be returning to the home.


More from News 12