Gang assault victim regains speech, speaks with News 12

Posted: Updated:

A street vendor from the Hub says he only just regained his voice after a brutal attack three months ago at the hands of a group of men.

Souleymane Porgo, a 48-year-old father of four, spent 11 days in a medically induced coma and had been hospitalized since May 2. He still has a row of staples in the side of his head and another on his stomach. 

Six people have been charged with gang assault for the street-side attack at East 149th Street and Third Avenue. They allegedly beat Porgo within an inch of his life after he caught one of them trying to steal a purse from his stand.

"They knocked me down, kicked me in face and broke my head," he says. "I'm lucky I'm still alive."

After two brain surgeries, Porgo tells News 12 he doesn't want to dwell on what happened and instead wants to move forward in the healing process.

Go HERE for an extended interview with Porgo.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."