7-alarm fire engulfs McClellan Street in heavy smoke

A fire spread through a building in Concourse Village Monday morning, causing smoke to spread throughout the building and nearby area.

News 12 Staff

Aug 5, 2019, 11:17 AM

Updated 1,777 days ago

Share:

A fire spread through a building in Concourse Village Monday morning, causing smoke to spread throughout the building and nearby area.
Firefighters say the flames broke out on the first floor of a building on McClellan Street and Sherman Avenue. The floor is occupied by a grocery store.
According to officials on scene, the fire started around 5:30 a.m.
News 12 was told more than 250 firefighters were on scene.
The FDNY says smoke spread through the pipes of the building, leaving firefighters to break through several walls to make sure the fire did not spread.
Six people were injured, including three firefighters who suffered minor injuries and one child who was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, News 12 was told. The child is expected to be OK.
Dozens of residents were forced to evacuate, some even running out without shoes.
"The fire extended above the first floor. Went into every floor and went up into the cockloft space. Between the floor and top floor ceiling," said FDNY Chief of Operations Thomas J. Richardson.
The American Red Cross was on standby helping dozens of tenants. It is offering emergency financial assistance, temporary housing and food to the people affected by the fire. The Red Cross says 125 people registered with them.
Fire marshals are working to figure out the cause of the fire. Families are being placed in nearby hotels.


More from News 12