Brooklyn advocates respond to raid that led to arrest of 5 teenage boys
Community advocates and residents spoke at a news conference in Red Hook Wednesday about a raid that took place last week, ending in the arrest of five teenage boys.
Several local residents and advocates are claiming that no charges have been filed on those five teenagers for anything related to the search warrant that led to the raid, also claiming that federal agents threw flashbang grenades, pointed guns with laser sights, and that one person was bit by a police dog in the incident.
“I am here to support young people who are being harassed by the police in the 76 precinct and now the DEA and the ATF,” said Betty Bernhart, outreach worker and community advocate in Red Hook. “I want to say I understand cops are doing what they have to do but there are other ways of doing it.”
Law enforcement officials told News 12 that this was an issued search warrant in regard to ongoing criminal activity. According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, the warrant was executed “in regard to ongoing violent crime reduction effort and firearm-related criminal activity in the Red Hook neighborhood.”
The families involved say that the topic is sensitive and are opting to keep some details private, but ATF officials say this is an ongoing investigation and they cannot provide further comment at this time.