HEAT ALERT

Relentless heat lingers today in the Bronx; tracking threat of pop-up strong thunderstorms

Brooklyn DA announces multipart plan to combat gun violence

The surge in gun violence in New York City has led to officials coming up with new ways to combat the issue.

News 12 Staff

Jul 7, 2022, 9:54 PM

Updated 714 days ago

Share:

The surge in gun violence in New York City has led to officials coming up with new ways to combat the issue..
Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez announced a multipart plan in hope to bring gun violence in the borough to a minimum.
The strategy, Gonzalez says, is to combine and balance prosecution and interruption.
“We know that arrests and incarceration, however, alone as a strategy did not keep us safe,” said Gonzalez. “And so, we need a multifaceted approach to get guns out of the hands of a violent few.”
His "Stop Violence Plan," announced last month, includes a $2.7 million digital evidence lab and an investment in the ghost gun unit.
The NYPD says citywide shooting incidents increased by over 16% in March as compared to the same time last year, but shootings decreased by more than 20% in the last month.
Project Restore is also at the forefront of the gun violence initiative, with $2.5 million from the city to create partnerships between officers and violence interrupters to target those committing gun violence crimes.
It is still a pilot program, and Gonzalez says new information and data they receive will shape the project, with researchers from Columbia University set to monitor it.


More from News 12