Fire officials: 10 injured in Marble Hill Avenue apartment fire caused by e-bike battery

The FDNY say they found e-bikes and e-bike batteries inside the building.

News 12 Staff and Samantha Chaney

Mar 12, 2024, 10:31 AM

Updated 130 days ago


Multiple families in the Bronx are without a home following a devastating apartment fire caused by an e-bike battery, officials say.
Firefighters responded to 36 Marvel Hill Ave. at around 2:30 p.m. Monday when flames broke out underneath the stairs on the first floor of the building. It quickly spread throughout the entire building, trapping several residents inside of their apartments and forcing others to evacuate through their fire escapes.
According to fire officials, 10 people were injured including six firefighters. All are expected to be OK.
The FDNY says the fire started from a lithium-ion battery in an e-bike found underneath the stairs on the first floor.
The Department of Buildings has placed a full vacate order on this entire building as they say it’s unsafe to enter. The American Red Cross says it has assisted 25 adults, children and pets with emergency services.

More from News 12