Fordham tenants frustrated for being in the dark for days following building basement fire

Tenants who live at a Fordham building say they have been left without power after a fire broke out in the basement of an apartment early Saturday morning.

News 12 Staff

Jan 14, 2020, 3:06 AM

Updated 1,550 days ago

Share:

Tenants who live at a Fordham building say they have been left without power after a fire broke out in the basement of an apartment early Saturday morning.
The fire department says they received a call for an electrical fire in the basement just before 1:10 a.m. Saturday.
It was under control by 1:30 a.m.
Now tenants say they have been left without electricity and hot water.
Victoria Banks, who has lived at the building on the Grand Concourse for 23 years, says she has not been able to get anything done.
"Nothing. Nothing at all. No cooking. Nothing. I'm literally in the dark in the cold, freezing," Bank says.
An emergency Tenants Association meeting was held Monday night with the help of the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition. They plan on taking the landlord to court.
Signs on the wall from management claim that an electrician made repairs. However, residents are still angry because they say they're being left in the dark, literally and figuratively.
"Up until now, it's been extremely frustrating to say the least because the management is saying one thing and then Con Edison is saying another, and then the tenants are just left in limbo without a clear answer about when they can expect their lives to return to normal," says Alvaro Franco of the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition.
Meanwhile, Con Edison says it has crews inspecting the repairs and if everything looks good, electricity will be restored to the building.
News 12 reached out to the landlord for comment, but did not heard back.


More from News 12