Officials: 1 dead, 5 others affected by carbon monoxide exposure in Bronx building
Officials say one person has died after being exposed to carbon monoxide in a two-story home in Fordham.
News 12 The Bronx is told that a leak at the home on Walton Avenue was reported around 9 p.m. Saturday night.
Fire officials say carbon monoxide levels were extremely high in the building, reaching up to 300 parts per million.
They say that a total of six people required medical attention, including two EMTs. The extent of their injuries is unclear at this time.
According to officials, the person who died suffered from cardiac arrest. Neighbors tell News 12 that they believe the individual was a visitor, not a tenant of the home.
The Department of Buildings has since issued a summons and multiple violations to the building. An order to vacate has also been stated.
After further investigation, the Department of Buildings tells News 12 that the second floor and basement of the home had been converted into 10 illegal single-room occupancy units.
In response to the incident, The Red Cross is advising residents to install carbon monoxide alarms on every level of their homes, have heating systems inspected annually and to never use a generator, grill or camp stove indoors.
The FDNY is reportedly investigating a defected boiler. It is not clear whether there were carbon monoxide detectors in the building at the time of the leak.