Silent killer gas forces evacuation of Wakefield building

Elevated carbon monoxide levels led to 11 people going to the hospital and an evacuation of a problem-plagued Wakefield building Sunday.Firefighters detected high levels of the odorless gas known as a

News 12 Staff

Oct 22, 2006, 11:25 PM

Updated 6,424 days ago

Share:

Silent killer gas forces evacuation of Wakefield building
Elevated carbon monoxide levels led to 11 people going to the hospital and an evacuation of a problem-plagued Wakefield building Sunday.Firefighters detected high levels of the odorless gas known as a silent killer at 960 Nereid Ave. about 8:45 a.m. All residents, including one child, were forced to leave. The landlord was issued a violation for a broken boiler, which officials believe caused the gas leak. Renters were allowed back in the building hours later.
Tenants say the broken boiler is nothing new. They complain they haven?t had heat or water for five days. They also say their carpets are shredded and their doors are broken. Residents claim they went nine months with a broken elevator, despite having a 105-year-old neighbor on the third floor. The landlord did not return calls for comment.


More from News 12