FDNY: Basement fire in Belmont building sparked by e-bike batteries; 2 injured

No injuries have been reported at this time.

News 12 Staff

and Samantha Chaney

Jul 31, 2023, 11:16 AM

Updated 302 days ago

Share:

Firefighters responded to a basement fire Monday morning in Belmont.
Residents of the building at 768 E. 187 St. told News 12 were on the street outside the building after 6 a.m. The FDNY says two people were hurt with non-life-threatening injuries.
Residents say they believe it began from an e-bike in the basement. Firefighters were seen outside the building breaking apart multiple e-bike batteries.
FDNY members confirmed to News 12 the batteries started the fire.
The manager of the property says he warned the tenants several times to not have e-bikes inside of their apartment. However, he said when he spoke to those that did have one, he says they told him they weren't actually charging them inside the building.


More from News 12