Dept. of Labor updates unemployment filing system after 6.6 million Americans are left jobless

Unemployment numbers around the country continue to climb with 6.6 million Americans filing for jobless benefits last week, leading to issues with the application process.

News 12 Staff

Apr 10, 2020, 4:15 PM

Updated 1,505 days ago

Share:

Unemployment numbers around the country continue to climb with 6.6 million Americans filing for jobless benefits last week, leading to issues with the application process.
On Thursday, the Department of Labor shut down its website from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. to reboot the entire system.
Moving forward, new users will fill a new application with fewer questions with the help of Google and other company servers. The department says the site will process more applications faster and make it easier for people to understand, allowing users to save an incomplete application and pick up where they left off.
What’s also new is that people filling won't have to call in to answer any questions. Instead, a call back system has been put in place. If your application needs additional information, someone will call you within 72 hours.
The department says it will be hiring even more workers to help people receive their checks.
undefined
Anyone who has already filed partial claims under the old system will get a call back from a representative.
Another feature is applicants can file and process applications by cellphone and another other smart device.


More from News 12