Pedestrian accident on Grand Concourse spurs safety concerns

Pedestrians say they still feel uneasy crossing the Grand Concourse, even as the city moves forward with plans to improve pedestrian safety.

News 12 Staff

Feb 10, 2022, 5:34 PM

Updated 837 days ago

Share:

Pedestrians say they still feel uneasy crossing the Grand Concourse, even as the city moves forward with plans to improve pedestrian safety.
The worry is in response to a recent pedestrian accident in the area. The FDNY says a pedestrian was struck by a car on the corner of East 165th Street and the Grand Concourse Wednesday. They say the victim was taken to the hospital.
The intersection is one that is common for crashes involving pedestrians. Those walking across the road worry that cars drive too fast there.
The section of the Grand Concourse has often been referred to as the "Boulevard of Death." Advocates say the only way to see improvement is to continue investing in the infrastructure.
Shawn Garcia, of advocacy group Transportation Alternatives, says the Grand Concourse has always been a focus of concern. Garcia says improvements over the years such as curb extensions, more pedestrian medians, dedicated bike lanes and a reduction in the speed limit have helped to slow traffic. However, he says enhancements need to be made along the entire 5-mile corridor.
"What happens for drivers on the intersection, it sends mixed messages," says Garcia. "This portion of the Grand Concourse has pedestrian islands and bicycle lanes and more safety enhancements, and then just 10 blocks down it changes back and forth. That kind of messaging and lack of investment in infrastructure creates bad results along that road."
According to Transportation Alternatives, last year was the deadliest for New York City streets since 2013. The group's data shows crashes killed 273 people in 2021. This year, there have been 26 fatalities in the city with eight of them in the Bronx.


More from News 12