NYPD: 4 suspects in custody following 5 subway attacks
Police say four suspects are in custody Friday after five victims were slashed in separate random attacks inside a subway train traveling across lower Manhattan.
Officers say a man was slashed on the southbound No. 4 subway train at Union Square Subway Station around 4:25 a.m. Police say one suspect slashed the man in the face while a second suspect stood by encouraging him.
The second incident happened in the train at Astor Place Subway Station at 4:30 a.m. Police say one suspect slashed a 40-year-old man while the other punched a 41-year-old man.
WATCH NYPD PRESS CONFERENCE:
Authorities say the third incident occurred at 4:37 a.m. at the Brooklyn Bridge Subway Station.
They say they believe two suspects approached a 44-year-old man. Again, they say it appears one suspect slashed the man while the other suspect encouraged him.
A fourth incident was reported at 161st Street near Yankee Stadium, according to police. They say a fifth victim, a 48-year-old man, informed officers that while in the vicinity of 59th Street near Columbus Circle a group of men approached him and stabbed him in his right eye with a knife.
Police say the man is in stable condition and is undergoing surgery.
At approximately 11:20 a.m., the NYPD says officers patrolling the northbound No. 1 train at 79th Street and Broadway observed four individuals who matched the description of the suspects wanted related to the incidents.
As the suspects exited the train, they were taken into custody, according to the NYPD.
Police say one of the suspects taken into custody was previously arrested in connection to a similar knifepoint robbery in January of this year.
The NYPD Transit Bureau says the suspects in connections to these incidents will be “brought to justice.”
“We won’t stand for these acts of violence in our subways,” the NYPD Transit Bureau tweeted Friday.
NYC Transit Interim President Sarah Feinberg gave a statement on the attacks. She said she believes the attacks, "All seemingly could have been prevented by a uniformed presence on each of these platforms.”
Feinberg added, “The responsibility for these vicious attacks does not fall on an already strapped police department – it falls on City Hall and the individuals who are taking advantage of the mayor’s negligence on the issue. If he needed a wake-up call, this is it. Enough is enough. The mayor is risking New York’s recovery every time he lets these incidents go by without meaningful action.”
The NYPD says the investigation remains “active." They say they are working closely with prosecutors from the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office to determine possible and pending charges.