Rebuilding The Bronx
News12 New York
Where to Watch
Download the App
Local
Crime
Weather
Taking Action
beWell
The East End
Crime Files

'We can start feeling the rooms getting cold.' Mott Haven tenants impacted by chimney collapse living without gas

They met in front of 205 Alexander Ave. on Sunday to share their concerns as temperatures begin to drop.

Jonathan Calixto

Oct 19, 2025, 10:28 PM

Updated

Share:

More Stories

Mott Haven tenants who were impacted by the chimney collapse at their NYCHA building back on Oct. 1 say they're now living without gas.

They met in front of 205 Alexander Ave. on Sunday to share their concerns as temperatures begin to drop.

"We can start feeling the rooms getting cold," said tenant Cesar Jimenez.

Jimenez lives on the 15th floor of the building. He said between the gas being cut and the lack of services to prepare a proper meal, he does not know what to do anymore.

RELATED: Mott Haven chimney collapse aftermath: Impacted residents begin to retrieve their belongings from apartments

"Right now these people don’t tell us nothing, they don’t visit the apartments to tell us anything. I don’t know what they are thinking of doing," he said.

Jimenez purchased a portable heater, despite feeling like it's too dangerous. Other tenants told News 12 they are doing anything they can to stay warm.

"I got about three or four blankets on me 'cause at nighttime when I go to the bathroom, I feel cold," said Victoria, another tenant.

The gas was shut off at the Mitchel Housing complex after an explosion in the boiler room caused the chimney to collapse. According to the Red Cross, the incident left 98 tenants in need of emergency services, ranging from meals to lodging assistance.

No injuries were reported.

According to NYCHA, hot water was restored at the Mitchel Housing complex.

Sources told News 12 gas restoration work was still ongoing as of Sunday night.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE

Repairs underway at partially collapsed Mott Haven building; residents unsure when they will receive aid

NYCHA’s Mitchel Houses hit with nearly 20 violations before collapse

In a statement, NYCHA told News 12,

NYCHA has connected two mobile boilers to facilitate heat and hot water service for residents, and following DOB and DEP inspection and clearance, we began safely returning the temporarily relocated households from the F and G lines to their homes last week. The chimney was a self-supporting structure, so its removal has not impacted the building’s integrity or safety. Independent structural assessments were conducted to the facade and all structural elements before notice was given to residents for a safe return. Additionally, all demolition and removal work was conducted in review by DEP and DOB. The investigation into this incident is ongoing, and NYCHA remains committed to transparency and will take every step necessary to ensure the safety of residents and of the public.

More Stories

Top Stories

App StoreGoogle Play Store

info

Newsletter

Send Photos/Videos

Contact

About Us

News Team

News 12 New York

follow us

Twitter

Facebook

Instagram

more resources

Optimum Corporate

Optimum Service

Advertise on News 12

Careers

Content Removal Policy

© 2026 N12N, LLC

Privacy Policy

Terms of Service

Ad Choices