Bronx residents step out against gun violence
The local community came together yesterday to march along Prospect Avenue and call for an end to gun violence.
Democratic Bronx Borough President nominee Vanessa Gibson and City Councilmember Oswald Feliz organized the peace march with community organizations to speak out against the recent stretch of deadly shootings in the borough.
"This past week we lost a 19-year-old. This past week, we lost a 16-year-old. This past week, we lost a 13-year-old," Feliz says. "This is not normal."
On July 8, 19-year-old Tyquill Daugherty was shot in the head and killed in East Tremont.
On Sunday, two more teenagers were shot and killed.
A 13-year-old boy was fatally shot after 3 p.m. outside of Angel's Cafe on E. 187th Street. Later that night, 16-year-old Ramon Gil Madrano was shot by two people driving scooters while sitting in the back of a black Toyota livery cab. He was later pronounced dead at St. Barnabas Hospital.
Police believe the two fatal shootings on Sunday were gang-related.
"I'm grateful to be here, but I'm not happy to be here," Gibson says. "Like you, I am outraged and I'm upset, and I'm pissed off. When a 13-year-old was shot dead in broad daylight community, I want you to know that is not acceptable. When you attack one of our kings, you attack, all of our children."
Gun violence in the city has gone up by 29% so far this year, with another fatal shooting in the Bronx in Concourse Village early this morning.
Yesterday Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Brooklyn Borough President and Democratic mayoral nominee Eric Adams hosted a news conference where they announced new initiatives to curb the upward trend of shootings in the boroughs.