Cobble Hill tenants say calls about high carbon monoxide levels have gone unanswered

Tenants inside the building, owned by Katz Realty Management, say they have been experiencing high levels of carbon monoxide inside their apartments for months.

News 12 Staff

and Jericho Tran

Apr 19, 2023, 4:54 PM

Updated 406 days ago

Share:

Tenants at 290 Clinton St. in Cobble Hill experienced high levels of carbon monoxide in their apartments Wednesday morning. They say it's been a recurring problem.
Some tenants told News 12 they woke up feeling dizzy, and others said they immediately called 911. Firetrucks lined the street as several firefighters went inside to check out the conditions. FDNY officials say the carbon monoxide readings were above 160 parts-per-million, attributing the problem to a defective oil burner.
Tenants inside the building, owned by Katz Realty Management, say they have been experiencing high levels of carbon monoxide inside their apartments for months.
One neighbor showed News 12 that soot from a chimney outside his apartment leaked through his electrical outlet and a crack in his ceiling. They also say this is now the third time they've called the fire department and that their calls to building management have gone unanswered.
News 12 reached out to Katz Realty Management and received the following response: 
"We sent our boiler company to investigate as soon as we were informed of the issue. The boiler company performed repairs to the boiler and cleaned the chimney, and we were told the issue was resolved - we received no further complaints at that time. We were notified today - after the fact - that the Fire Department was there due to elevated carbon monoxide levels in the building. We reached out to our boiler servicing company to determine if the issue was misdiagnosed or if there is another issue that needs to be addressed. We take safety very seriously and are working to resolve this as fast as possible."


More from News 12