DA reveals conditions behind ‘Junior’ murder suspect’s plea agreement

Alvarez, an admitted member of the Trinitarios gang, is charged with second-degree murder, along with eight other men.

News 12 Staff

May 21, 2019, 9:16 PM

Updated 1,825 days ago

Share:

The Bronx district attorney revealed the conditions for Kevin Alvarez’s plea deal Tuesday in the trial against the men accused in the slaying of Belmont teen Lesandro “Junior” Guzman Feliz.
Alvarez, an admitted member of the Trinitarios gang, is charged with second-degree murder, along with eight other men. Five are currently on trial for first-degree murder.
He testified Monday that he was following orders given to him by other gang members the night Junior was killed. He also said that he heard the teen say he "was not" part of a rival gang.
Alvarez pleaded guilty last month to manslaughter and conspiracy charges in exchange for his testimony. The district attorney also said that he is expected to be sentenced to time served for conspiracy if he tells truthful testimony in the current trial against the five men accused of first-degree murder and the suspects charged with second-degree murder.
Alvarez was captured on surveillance video dragging Junior from the bodega where he was stabbed to death. He admitted Tuesday that his testimony could result in his death at the hands of the very gang he was once a member of.
"If you do something as bad as snitch, they go out and look for you in groups until they find you and kill you," he said on the stand.
Alvarez is now in protective custody. He is expected to be cross-examined on Thursday.
Prosecutor Morgan Dolan says she has about 20 more witnesses to get through, including the medical examiner.
Upon leaving the courtroom, Junior’s mother got into a heated exchange with two women, who she believes were relatives of the defendants.


More from News 12