Officials: 7 hurt after scooter battery fire destroys Bronx supermarket

The FDNY remained at Concourse Food Plaza long after the flames first broke out around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday. A smell of smoke remained Monday morning, and burnt out grocery carts could be seen.

News 12 Staff

Mar 6, 2023, 10:50 AM

Updated 506 days ago

Share:

A scooter battery seems to be behind a fire that destroyed a Grand Concourse supermarket over the weekend, fire officials said.
The FDNY remained at Concourse Food Plaza long after the flames first broke out around 10:30 a.m. on Sunday. A smell of smoke remained Monday morning, and burnt out grocery carts could be seen.
Officials said the fire at 2096 Grand Concourse quickly spread to a laundromat and flower shop next door, and required almost 200 firefighters to come to the scene. It did not end up spreading far enough to damage a five-story apartment building.
Video released by the FDNY shows how the fire quickly spread through a room at the store due to the apparent lithium-ion battery. It’s unclear how the scooter caught fire.
"There is extraordinary damage, this entire building is completely destroyed, the roof has caved in, there is nothing left. And it is all because of this one single bike,” said Fire Commissioner Laura Kavanaugh.
Seven people, including five firefighters, were injured in the fire, but all are expected to recover. 
The fire has once again echoed calls for regulation on lithium-ion batteries. Just last month, Kavanaugh wrote to the feds, asking them for an e-bike crackdown to ensure incidents like Sunday’s don’t happen.
Since 2019, the lithium-ion batteries have caused more and more in NYC. The number hit 216 in 2022, more than doubling rhe previous year's total. The figure was just 28 in 2019.


More from News 12